Kota Marudu Member of Parliament

IRENA Can Play Role To Ensure West Fulfils Promise Of Assistance - Ongkili

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia wants the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) to play a role to ensure the West keep their promise to provide assistance and support for developing countries to reduce climate change.

Minister of Energy, Green Technology and Water, Datuk Seri Maximus Ongkili, said there was a need to follow through the implementation of the Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) for each country to reduce greenhouse gases (GHGs).

"The West needs to provide the necessary support to enable every country to implement their INDCs. The INDCs cannot be converted into goals and policies to be adopted by the respective countries without this assistance," he said in a statement here today.

Speaking at the two-day ministerial roundtable meeting of the 6th session of the IRENA assembly that ended yesterday, Ongkili said, Malaysia regretted that the West, led by the US, had not fulfilled their promise.

The INDCs are voluntary actions published by all countries that signed the UN Framework on Climate Change (UNFCC) as a lead up to the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris (COP21).

Ongkili participated in the ministerial sessions on "After COP21: Concerted Action Towards Renewable Energy Deployment" and session on "After COP21: Financing Renewable Energy -- Scaling Up Investment".

He said Malaysia had set "a bold goal" to reduce GHG emissions intensity of the gross domestic product by 45 per cent by 2030 compared to the 2005 levels.

"Malaysia has so far achieved 33 per cent reduction. Under our target, 35 per cent is supposed to be achieved on an unconditional basis and the other 10 per cent reduction is conditional upon receipt of climate finance, technology transfer and capacity building assistance," he said.

Nevertheless, he said, Malaysia's success story was not without challenges with finance being the main challenge. . "But by COP15, Malaysia had already acknowledged that climate change was real and set its carbon emission targets.

"Since then, we put in place necessary instruments to reduce climate change, in order to ensure our development is sustainable," he said.

These included the National Biofuel Policy (2006), National Renewable Energy Policy (2010), the Renewable Energy Act and Sustainable Energy Development Authority Act in 2011, while the Feed-in Tariff mechanism was introduced in 2011, he said.

"With these policies and measures, renewable energy in Malaysia now makes up 24 per cent in total installed capacity and comprises 10.1 per cent of our energy mix, including hydro," Ongkili said.

Malaysia is also committed to provide RM4.6 billion for the Green Technology Financing Scheme from 2010 to 2017, he said.

Under this scheme, the government subsidised two per cent of the total interest rate and provided a guarantee of 60 per cent on the financing amount via Credit Guarantee Corp Malaysia Bhd, with the remaining 40 per cent borne by participating financial institutions.

Ongkili also informed the meeting that Malaysia's latest initiatives included embarking on Net Energy Metering and developing Large-Scale Solar PV with a set target of 250MW annually for the next four years.

The minister and his delegation, comprising officials from the ministry and Sustainable Energy Development Authority and the Energy Commission, also attended the Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week and participated in the World Future Energy Summit 2016 that will end on Jan 20, 2016.

 

Source - Bernama