Kota Marudu Member of Parliament

Ongkili: PBS steps up election preparations

KOTA KINABALU: Parti Bersatu Sabah has stepped up preparations for GE14 in all its constituencies, including some of the 13 new state seats proposed by the Election Commission's planned redelineation exercise.

PBS acting President Datuk Seri Dr Maximus Ongkili said the party’s machinery in the 13 state and five parliamentary seats hasbeen activated and that “we have further raised the level of preparedness.”

“Our machinery at all polling centres have begun their work, and if the new boundaries are passed, we are ready to set up pro-tem committees at our added seats,” he said.

Ongkili said this after chairing the PBS supreme council meeting at the party’s headquarters here on Monday.


PBS has asked Barisan Nasional for at least six constituencies from the 13 new seats proposed in the redelineation exercise.

Sabah currently has 25 parliament and 60 state seats.

Ongkili said that PBS can do well in any constituency it is given by the Barisan leadership as it is a multi-racial party.

Ongkili also said that the  PBS supreme council urged the Sabah government to review its agreement with Federal Land Development Authority (Felda) in Lahad Datu, also known as Felda Sahabat.

He said PBS members from the area had raised the Felda Sahabat issue, pointing out that some 40,000 hectares of land in Lahad Datu had been identified under the programme for rubber or oil palm plantations before the government agency stopped the programme.

"However, only 25 per cent of the area was settled, what happened to the remaining 75 per cent? The original plan was to get 1,000 settlers. In the end, Felda did not proceed with the plan,” he said.

Source : thestar